Thursday, March 14, 2013

Slightly Spring

 
Sigh. If you're like me, you're ready for spring.
 
With the telltale signs--warmer sun, melting of snow and I read that someone spotted a robin yesterday (big news for us Minnesoters!)--it's got me all itchy for spring--even slightly spring. I want to see yellow tulips and big fluffy white clouds in the sky. I want to open our windows, go for brisk sun-shiny walks, and doze on the couch cuddled up as only you can do when it's slightly spring.

But, alas, another dusting of snow this morning with more to come.

Today I start a four day weekend and while rest and play are on the agenda--I want to do some spring cleaning and organizing and generally freshen up our home too. Since, it seems, we won't be occupying the outdoors at full force for a few more weeks.
 
I'm not a big crafter nor do I holiday/theme decorate much--but I always change out my candles to more springy smells (I still have a pretty good stockade from my Pier 1 days) and change out what's on the top of our built-in buffet (right now it's wedding pictures with a nod to Valentine's) to something remotely springy--like my bamboo runner and jars of river rocks. I put away the orange pillows and leave the green. I usually put away the chenille deep orange throws we have near the couch, but they are still in high use with it being so cold. Oh and I probably should put away the Little People Nativity Set that's on our rubbermaid plastic dresser that houses our winter wear near the door (classy, I know).

Hmmm...I wonder if they make a Little People 'Last Supper' or Little People 'Crucifixion'?

I switch out mine and the kids' closets/dressers--which is no easy task. No one tells you when you become a parent that you'll spend a surprisingly amount of time shucking clothes around--depending on season, growth spurts and organizing hand-me-downs. We consistently have at least one or two boxes in our upstairs foyer there for the express purpose of sorting out what we need to donate and keep. And the 'kept' are sent downstairs to be housed in tucker totes until summoned by the next growth spurt or season.

I already switched out my closet last weekend which was inspiring and alleviated (well, slightly) my need to go get new clothes. In my line of work, I truly should have one or two new pieces a season. I know, I know...'Beware of institutions that require new clothes' -Ralph Emerson, but another man with a similar name signs my check. <wink>

I got rid about three boxes worth (off to ARC) and put aside a bag of things for a young woman I work with who just lost her mom around Christmas. Her dad died two years ago and now she's parent-less and just in her early 20s. My heart really goes out to her and I'm going to try to help her anyway I can.


There's cleaning to do, curtains to wash (I try to do this at least twice a year), linens to switch out and frankly, that's enough--all in the name of slightly spring and the hope of spring!

Oh and El and I should probably take down the Christmas lights outside--it is March, after all.
 
What are some of things you do when anticipating spring?

~leah




No comments:

Post a Comment